Not everyone knows what military time and regular time are and how they work. Although there are differences between both time formats and the reason as to how and why they are used, it’s easily understandable.
It is basically a way to tell time using 24 hours instead of 12 hours starting the day at 0000 hours and ends at 2359 hours.. Military time uses the four numbers, where the first two numbers show the hour, and the last two figures show the minutes of the time. It starts at 0000 in the morning and counts up, using 1300 for 1:00 pm and 2300 for 11:00 pm. In the military time unit, the hours are numbered from 00 to 23.
The sole purpose of the Military using its time format is to avoid all confusion between AM (Morning hours) and PM (Evening time). Since the Military operates around the clock, this confusion is probable. This could be not very comfortable and could result in an operation not getting successful because the troops did not meet on time. So, with the military time, there is no confusion as the numbers never repeat themselves
Regular time uses numbers from 1 to 12 to identify the hours in a day. Proper time uses and pm to determine the time of the day. The 12-hour clock, commonly used all around the globe, restarts midday at 1:00 pm, while the military clock, correctly handled by the Military, keeps counting up midday to 1300 hours and beyond. Regular and military time express minutes and seconds in the same way. Proper and Military time uses the same number of minutes per hour, so there is no need to convert minutes when converting the time between the two time systems.
PROTIP: You can use military time converter to convert military time to standard time or vice versa by dremployee.
Military time vs. Regular Time
- Military time uses four numbers without any colon to show the time. While standard time uses a colon between hours and minutes.
- Military time is based on a 24-hour clock and while the regular clock is based on a 12-hour clock.
- Under this system, Military time starts from 0000 hours while the regular clock starts the day from 00; 00 am-midnight.
- The regular clock restarts midday at 1; 00 pm while the military clock keeps counting up noon to 1300 hours.
- For 2:00 am, the military time would be 2000. And for 2:00 pm, the military time would be 1400.
- The Military uses this standard to leave less room for confusion than Standard Time.
- It’s very convenient to convert military time to standard time.
- Standard and military time express minutes and seconds in the same format.
- Different types of organizations write military times differently. The military emergency services often write the hours and minutes without a colon, and they add the word hours afterward. The science and engineering services use a colon between hours and minutes.
- It is quite frequent that we get confused in the regular time format because of the repetitions of the numbers. So, it can be said that military time is a necessity for military services. All they have to do is to avoid confusion to avoid any mishap and failure in their operations. Other than the Military, many countries use this 24-hour based time format as their official time format.
That’s all about military time Vs. normal time. If you guys still have any question regarding this you can ask us in comment box, we try to get back to you ASAP!